Health Care & Wellness
Senior Health Care Services in Scarborough, Maine
With years of experience and knowledge, the capable staff at Scarborough Terrace in Scarborough, Maine is proud to provide for the senior care needs of each of our residents. We routinely assess the health needs of each resident and customize a care plan that addresses medications, nutrition, fitness, medical needs and personal care.
Scarborough Terrace’s health care services are available to residents when needed and include the following:
- Nursing care, including post-hospital or post-surgical support.
- Memory Care and Special Care Programs.
- Medication management ensuring medicines are taken as prescribed, as well as coordination of pharmacy services and deliveries.
- Coordination of physician services as needed, including scheduling of doctor appointments and provision of transportation to them, or the option of convenient in-house visits from physicians and care providers with specialties such as primary care, podiatry, and geriatric psychiatry.
- Coordination of rehabilitative therapy services as needed, including the benefits of our expert in-house therapy service, or the option of appointments and transportation to visit other therapists.
- Working with families and hospice care providers to support any specialized end-of-life care needs that residents may have.
Given our longstanding track record and trusted name, Scarborough Terrace residents and their families can rest assured that our qualified team of Health Service Directors, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, and Resident Assistants delivers the highest standard of senior care. Additionally, for rapid response should medical emergencies arise, many members of our care team are trained in both Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and the use of our Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
Area Medical Care
Scarborough Terrace is conveniently located near numerous physician and medical offices, as well as the Maine Medical Center and Mercy Hospital about seven miles away.
Health & Wellness: An Integrated Approach to Wellbeing
Because research shows benefits for healthful aging, we plan our programs to support wellbeing through an integrated mind-body-spirit approach to health and wellness. In addition to health care, our health and wellness approach combines physical activity, mental stimulation, nutrition, socialization, and spiritual fulfillment as follows:
Physical activity supports heart, muscular and skeletal strength and supplies oxygenated blood to the brain, supporting cognitive health.
Mental stimulation helps develop and maintain cellular connections in the brain and defend against neurodegenerative conditions.
Nutrition is important in combating the effects of aging. For example, foods such as salmon, fish oil and walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids that support brain and heart health, while foods like blueberries, broccoli, green tea and chocolate are rich in antioxidants that help defend against cancers and the impact of damaging agents (free radicals) on the brain.
Socialization is very important to keeping people happy and stimulated, which in turn supports health, cognitive function, and even longevity, according to some studies.
Spiritual fulfillment and being part of a community are also shown to help reduce stress and contribute to health, happiness and longevity.
Using these core principles, we seek to promote wellbeing so that each resident experiences a quality of life that makes each day enjoyable.